Saturday, November 12, 2011

Shabbat menu, Vayera!



I was going to cook a Jordanian-bedouin style meal for this portion but my oldest son made a special request for this week and I was happy to oblige. He asked for Tandoori chicken which has it's modern roots many miles East, in New Delhi, India. How could I form the meal around the Portion? Well, it begins with Abram's show of hospitality and carries on with the folks of Sodom's total lack of hospitality... I sat up the dinner table area as much as possible, as Abram's tent!! Next year we might sit on the floor. This menu was still very similar to foods found in Jordan, and I think Abram and Sarai would have approved.

We're still searching for a fluffy, EASY gluten free flat bread. This menu's version of Naan, flat bread baked at high temps, was approaching GREAT! I added yeast, egg, and yogurt to the rice flour mix. Next week I'm gonna try to make Ingera, a fermented, teff flour-based flat bread that looks promising.

The tandoori chicken, Clinton's request, was very good though it could have used more cayenne pepper. I found a recipe online for the a multi-ingredient spice mix. Thankfully, I had all the spices on hand and was able to make my own so I was insured it was gluten free. The recipe called for high heat cooking so I cooked the blazes out of that chicken, made me think of Mrs. S.J.! haha!!

The surprise winner of the evening was the fish. I wanted to remember the New Testament verses where the apostles gave The Messiah fish and honey. I found this recipe on an online Persian cookbook. (Wish I could pronounce the name...) The recipe included pomegranate paste, walnuts, honey, onions, and saffron. even though I had to use fillets, it was amazingly good! I can't wait to tell my Persian friend about it.

Later, Craig and Grace are coming over for Bible study with us. I think they will have a good time.
~

~Shabbat Dinner~
Naan
wine
pomegranate fish with honey
tandoori chicken
roasted vegetables
pickled vegetables
salads
dips & spreads
nut & seed mix
fruit
mint tea
coffee

~Shabbat Breakfast~
kefir with honey and fruit

~Shabbat Lunch~
chicken wraps
salad

~Supper~
left overs
popcorn
~

Shabbat Shalom v'Shavua Tov!
~WOW~

No comments:

Post a Comment